Sunday, March 16, 2008

How To Win a Large Following

Something perhaps modern politicians should listen to is contained in AN 8.24 about Hatthaka of Alavi who enjoyed a following of 500 lay followers:

"Lord, I have won over this large following through the four grounds for the bonds of fellowship taught by the Blessed One. When I know that, 'This person is to be won over by giving,' then I win him/her over by giving. When I know that, 'This person is to be won over by kind words,' then I win him/her over by kind words. When I know that, 'This person is to be won over by beneficial help,' then I win him/her over by beneficial help. When I know that, 'This person is to be won over by consistency,' then I win him/her over by consistency. Awed by the wealth of my family, they regard me as worth listening to, which would not be the case if I were poor."

"It's good, Hatthaka, it's very good that this is the means by which you have won over a large following. All those in the past who have won over a large following have done so by means of these four same grounds for the bonds of fellowship. All those in the future who will win over a large following will do so by means of these four same grounds for the bonds of fellowship. All those at present who are winning over a large following do so by means of these four same grounds for the bonds of fellowship."

Apparently "beneficial help" means beneficial words or advice. "Giving" means material aid or aid through one's actions. "Kind words" probably just means stuff like complementing people on their accomplishments and such.

As for consistency, well, that's probably what most modern politicians have the most trouble with. Ajahn Geoffrey says "The Commentary defines consistency as sharing the same hardships and pleasures: eating together, sleeping together, observing the same precepts, not claiming any special privileges. Other traditional texts define consistency more in terms of reliability: acting the same way behind the other person's back as one would to his/her face."

I think, especially when it comes to consistency, modern politicians should pay attention. They should probably also try to think about giving in terms of doing what is beneficial for people rather than simply bribing them to buy votes.

Lastly, note that Hatthaka seems to consider his wealth worthwhile for getting people to take him seriously, perhaps because they see it as evidence of competence, though the Buddha doesn't consider it among the bonds of fellowship.